View as List Grid
Items 19-27 of 114
- Francs, Côtes de Bordeaux0.75l WhitePrimeur€12.35 €10.21For once the wine was not bottled at the time of the primeurs and will wait until mid-June as there is a great deal of richness here. Made from a blend of 63% Semillon, 21% Sauvignon Blanc and 16% Sauvignon Gris, it is the Semillon which really comes out here with lovely freshness, sweet, grapey flavours and notes of cinnamon, oatmeal and citrus. Creamy, soft and lively, with very good concentration and freshness, nice precision and an appetizingly salty finish. Delivery from winter 2020-2021
- 2012 Clos du PorteauL'Oie Blanche Montlouis sur Loire0.75l White€12.50 €10.33We love the Chenin Blanc grape from the Loire and its ability to show both richness and freshness at the same time. We have been looking for a wine to serve with festive meals – with foie gras, lobster and other rich foods – that will add the right balance between acidity and sweetness. This Montlouis 2012 comes from the 16th century Clos du Porteau, owned by Isabelle and Aynar Clermont Tonnerre whose family has been based in Touraine for over 800 years. The vines are planted south facing on clay silex soils with limestone bedrock. The estate is now farmed organically, which gives greater precision and minerality to the wines. Handpicking at night ensures that the grapes arrive fresh at the winery where they are pressed and most of the harvest is allowed to macerate for 10 days at 5°C before being fermented in oak barrels while 20% goes through a 10 hour pre-fermentation maceration before being pressed to give weight and more aromatic expression. The fermentations take place very slowly (85 days) and then the wines are aged on the lees for three months. This is a lovely Montlouis with a very fragrant and expressive nose of Chenin Blanc with a touch of sweetness; aromas of melon and ripe pear dominate. On the palate the wine has great liveliness and purity with lots of fruit, spice and nutty flavours. Although the wine has about 5 grams of residual sugar, the finish is clean, persistent and very fresh.
- Côtes du Rhône Villages0.75l WhiteBio€12.80 €10.58This is a new wine from the wonderful La Nerthe estate in Châteauneuf-du-Pape, the southern Rhônes most famous winemaking village. This lovely, expressive, crunchy fruity white wine is made from a blend of 50% Viognier - 25% Grenache Blanc - 25% Roussanne organic grapes. Planted on terraces of south facing garrigue stones, sandstone and sand, the vines are warmed by the sun but kept cool and dry by the famous Mistral wind of the Rhône Valley. Almost all Southern Rhone wines are made from a blend of grapes and this mix gives great depth of flavour to the wine; you can pick out the floral, honeysuckle notes; then the stone fruit flavours mixed with luscious mango and pineapple and finally spicy notes of almonds and cinnamon. There is great balance and smoothness here and the wine marries well with poultry dishes, creamy sauces, poached fish and rich salads.
- 2017 Famille PaquetLe Mont Mâcon-Solutré-Pouilly0.75l White€12.85 €10.62This is a very small parcel of one third of a hectare that the Paquet family managed to take over in 2015. They have made this wine their own with its very bright, sunny character and fruity flavours of ripe Chardonnay encompassing fresh pears, melon, summer blossom and a spiciness on the finish. The wine is aged on its lees for just over a year which gives the wine a pretty, honeyed, round flavour. Well focused where freshness and richness meet and blend well together.
- Côtes du Rhône Villages0.75l WhiteBio€13.10 €10.83A beautiful rich and satisfying white Rhône with an abiding freshness which makes the wine more elegant and livelier on the palate. Made from a blend of Viognier, Grenache Blanc et Roussanne cultivated organically, this is a deeply satisfying wine with an expressive nose of lemons, melons and grapefruit, generous and round on the palate with ripe, sweet fruit lifted by good acidity and bite. The finish is silky and long with very persistent fruit flavours in the finish. There is less Viognier in the blend this year and such is the demand for this wine that the estate is doubling the surface of white grapes planted at Cassagnes.
- Chablis Village0.75l White€13.20 €10.91This is a super Chablis, inspite of the hail which ravaged the region. Very good aromas of pear, zest, citrus and chalky limestone. On the palate the wine seems sweet and fruity and then becomes more serious with more structure, citrus flavours and good body. Very bright and vivacious, this is an attractive wine with very good balance and persistence.
- 2018 Famille PaquetSaint-Véran0.75l WhiteNew€13.39 €11.07This was the first wine we bought from the Paquets at their Domaine des Valanges and it remains a favourite. Attractive and fruity with notes of pears, apples, melon, orchard flowers and a lovely mineral spiciness on the palate. Rich and quite full on the palate, this is a lovely Chardonnay with pure character and verve. Lovely wine at a very good price.
- 2017 Château BeláRiesling0.75l WhiteNew€14.25 €11.78Château Belá is an ancient property owned by the aunt of Valeska Müller, the wife of Egon. Situated in southern Slovakia on the banks of the Danube River the estate has a long winemaking history. The Romans planted the first vines and today Riesling grapes are grown on the hills below the castle and vinified by Miroslav Petrech and Egon Müller, two celebrated winemakers from Germany and the Slovak Republic. The 2017 Riesling is very fresh and pure with bold flavours of citrus, honeysuckle and fresh herbs. It is refreshingly light in alcohol and beautifully balanced between sweet, pure aromas and a lively, dry taste.
- 2007 Château FilhotSauternesDeuxièmes Crus 0.375l White€14.30 €11.82Bright and pure with a lovely fruity nose of apricots and grapefruits. A very pretty Sauternes at a very good price. Instensely concentrated and very fresh. Very wel-made, a Sauternes with lots of character.