Clos de Tart
This clos has never been divided and is the largest single Grand Cru monopole in Burgundy (monopole denotes one single owner). The Tart Abbey operated by the Bernardine sisters who were part of the nearby Cistercian community, created the domain in 1141. In 1791, after the French Revolution, it was purchased first by the Marey-Monge family and then by the Mommessin family who remain the sole owners today. It produces red wines from the Pinot Noir grape.
The appellation of Clos de Tart comprises a 7-½ hectare parcel, rectangular in shape lying mid-slope at between 270 and 200 metres. It has an east south exposure and is bordered by a 1.2 kilometer stonewall. Within the wall there are six different microclimates according to the different ages and sorts of limestone, each is harvested and vinified separately.
Contrary to most of the Côtes d’Or, the vine rows in the Clos de Tart are planted north south, perpendicular to the slope that helps prevent erosion and allows the grapes to benefit from sunshine on both sides in the morning and afternoon. The average age of the vines is 60 years old although some vines are 100 years old. All replanting is done from domain selected “massal” vines. Today the vineyard is under conversion to Biodynamic viticulture.