Jerez de la Frontera
This is where sherry is made. Sherry is a British version of Jerez, (the British have had as great an influence in Sherry production as they had in Port) which can only be made around in a triangular zone that encompasses the town of Jerez de la Fontera, Puerto de Santa Maria and San Lucar de Barrameda in the province of Cadiz in southern Spain. The key to sherry production is a combination of Palomino grapes, chalky, crumbly soil called albariza, a maritime climate which encourages the development of flor (a coating of yeast that forms a layer on top of the aging wine preventing it from oxidizing to become a Fino Sherry) and the Solera system of old barrels which permits sherry to develop character and complexity as it ages.
There are over 10, 000 hectares of vineyards in Jerez planted mainly with Palomino (named after a 13th century Spanish knight) grapes. After harvesting the grapes are fermented and aged in tanks before being put through the solera system (a stack of barrels through which the sherry passes during its aging). The different styles of sherry run from bone dry Finos and Manzanillas (made exclusively in San Lucar de Barrameda) to Oloroso, Amontillado, Palo Cortado and Pedro Ximenez (this last being very sweet indeed and made from the Pedro Ximenez grape grown in Montilla).
Sherry has been popular ever since the British admiral, Sir Francis Drake laid siege to the port of Cadiz in 1587 and made off with 3,000 barrels of Sherry. Since then the British have been the principal overseas clients but today Sherry’s fame has spread throughout the world and Sherry is experiencing somewhat of a revival as sommeliers love Sherry’s ability to match with different foods as well as an aperitif.
Items 1-9 of 10
- Fino En Rama Jerez de la Frontera0.375l White€11.20 €9.26De Finos "en rama" zijn speciale fino partijen die enorm worden gewaardeerd door de echte liefhebbers van Jerez. Getrokken tijdens de lente en de herfst van de beste vaten in de solera, wanneer de gistlaag of de "flor" op zijn dikst is. Finos en Rama hebben dragen steeds de datum van botteling en worden enkel in halve flesjes verkocht, dit omdat het beter is om ze na de opening vrij snel te consumeren. Dit kan geen probleem vormen, aangezien ze niet gefilterd zijn, een rijke, droge en natuurlijke smaak hebben met veel flor karakter, aroma’s van amandelen, groene appels en zoute tonen in de afdronk. Kortom, de "en rama" zijn echt gastronomisch Jerez’, om te ontdekken.
- Fino Classic Dry-Sec Jerez de la Frontera0.75l White€13.00 €10.74A fino with a bright pale yellow colour, very fresh and bone dry and above all a mouthwatering acidity which stimulates the taste buds. With smokey aromas of roasted almonds on the nose, the palate is very long with a pure, clean finish.
- La Bodega - Vinagre de Jerez al Pedro Ximenez "Reserva" Jerez de la Frontera0.25l White€18.00 €16.98
- Pedro Ximenez Antique Jerez de la Frontera0.5l White€28.00 €23.14This is an amazing, deeply concentrated dessert sherry of incredible sweetness and an almost magical freshness made by this small Spanish bodega which has won many awards and makes seriously expressive wines that are up there with the finest sherries. This 20+ year old single solera release has an intense deep mahogany colour; the nose has a depth and complexity that smells of coffee, caramel, nuts, dried fruit, the list could go on and on; the palate, balances rich sweetness with an abiding freshness giving the sherry wonderful poise and balance.The ultimate partner for chocolate desserts or serve drizzled over vanilla ice cream, sprinkled with walnuts. Alternatively just sip slowly as a very complex dessert wine on its own.
- Oloroso Antique Jerez de la Frontera0.5l White€28.25 €23.35This sherry is made from the native grape, Palomino Fino which comes from older vines on the estate vineyard “Pago Balbaino” of white albariza soils containing 70-80% limestone. The wine is fortified early on in the winemaking process with grape spirit so that the cap of ‘flor’ yeast doesn’t grow (as in fino sherry) and it undergoes oxidative ageing. It is aged for 30 years using the soleras and criaderas system. It is a complex sherry, with aromas such as dry fruit, hazelnuts, chocolate and sweet spices . The sherry’s concentration gives it a very pure, almost saline finish on the palate which make the sherry incredibly appetizing. A beautiful sherry to serve with nuts or aged cheeses.
- Palo Cortado Antique Jerez de la Frontera0.5l White€32.67 €27.00For devoted sherry lovers, Palo Cortado is often their favourite category. The Fernando de Castillo Antique range represents the premium wines of the house. All of these wines are single-solera, which means they’re matured in one solera system, rather than being a blend of different soleras that have aged separately. A highly awarded wine which seems still to be reasonably priced, there are very expressive, elegant aromas on the nose with orange marmalade , fresh hints of citrus, roasted nuts with marzipan and caramel. On the palate it is beautifully balanced between full flavours, some spice and figs, and the characteristic acidity and salty tang which distinguish many of this bodega’s sherries.