Côtes de Beaune
View as List Grid
Items 1-9 of 31
- 2016 Domaine David MoretSaint-Romain0.75l WhiteNew€30.30 €25.04Saint Romain is located in a valley to the west of Auxey-Duresses in the direction of the Hautes Côtes de Beaune where just over half the production is white wine. After both the alcoholic and malolactic fermentation in 25% new oak barrels, the wine is aged for 12 months in oak and a further 6 months in bottle. The wine is dry with notes of honey, acacia blossom and almonds on the nose. Floral notes develop on the palate then pear, almonds and a touch of quince. A lovely wine with lingering mineral notes.
- Chassagne-Montrachet0.75l Red€33.00 €27.27Pretty and soft in the nose with aromas of redcurrant and blood orange; juicy and fresh with lovely concentration mid palate; flavours of pata negra and spice. Long and fine.
- Léo Meursault0.75l WhiteNew€38.15 €31.53What a lovely way to celebrate the arrival of your first grandson – and in a great vintage too! This village Meursault comes from the top part of the Meursault vineyards where the soil is rocky and steep. Never great fans of oak, the domain has chosen to vinify this wine entirely in stainless steel and it is wonderful to see the acidity and the fresh structure of the climat shine through the ripe, fruity Chardonnay flavours. A tiny cuvée for those who like their Meursaults as natural and pure as they can get. On the finish there is a richness that comes through due to the fact that they wine was aged on its lees and bottled without fining.
- La Comme SantenayPremier Cru 0.75l RedNew€38.70 €31.98Mercifully, Santenay was spared the frost that ravaged the Côte d’Or in 2016 and Jean-Pierre urged me to take a few cases of this wine as he was so excited about the quality of his 2016 reds with their delicious freshness and drinkability. La Comme is one of the largest of the Santenay crus, adjacent to Chassagne Montrachet. This wine is so good, it could be drunk immediately. It shows rich cherry and raspberry fruit underlined by a more serious spicy element of liquorice, violets and a touch of thrilling bitterness. An exciting surprise.
- Chassagne-MontrachetPremier Cru 0.75l Red€45.00 €37.19This is a monopole premier cru situated within the estate. Fresh and vibrant with aromas of sloes and violets underlain with spicy notes, this is an exuberant, bright wine with great freshness and richness. Very exciting.
- Bois de Blagny Meursault0.75l WhiteNew€46.65 €38.55Laurent Martelet had a difficult start to the 2016 growing season with frost in April followed by mildew and then summer drought. In spite of these challenges, the wine is very balanced and fresh, perhaps reflecting the advantage of higher altitude vineyards in the time of climate change. There is lovely Chardonnay fruit that is rich and tightly packed without being heavy and there are notes of hawthorn blossom, a touch of citrus and some minerality on the palate. This a pretty wine with good balance and length.
- Chassagne-MontrachetPremier Cru 0.75l Red€46.90 €38.76Did you know that Chassagne is planted with almost 50% Pinot Noir grapes? This monopole premier cru situated within the estate is a big success in 2016. It has more class and elegance than the estate wine but there are the same, fresh, lively fruit flavours of small red and black berries entwined with more exciting aromas of graphite, freshly dried herbs and summer meadows. The wine is so silky and easy to drink that it would be gloss over the richness here and the wonderful persistence that lingers in the mouth. This is due in part to the lush, stylish tannins which provide the fine backbone to this wine. This great 2016 deserves to be as famous as the estate’s white wines.
- La Genelotte Meursault-BlagnyPremier Cru 0.75l White€48.10 €39.75This wine benefitted from the lovely summer weather since the vineyard forms an amphitheatre where the sun’s rays are trapped in a small basin of warmth. This is a generous, velvety vintage with lots of body and a touch of sweetness in the nose. On the palate, there are aromas of almond and minerals balanced by a persistent liveliness. In spite of its richness, this is an elegant wine.
- La Genelotte Meursault-BlagnyPremier Cru 0.75l White€48.35 €39.96One senses the effect of the altitude on this very precise, structured, mineral wine – the generosity of the fruit flavours is balanced by the intensity of the old vines in this magnificent terroir. There is lots of power and length in this wine. Although it is already delicious to drink, it would be a pity not to wait a few more years to drink this when the development of the secondary aromas will add depth and a earthier backdrop to the exuberant fruit.