Syrah is the king of the Rhône and rides the wave of fashion, matching Cabernet Sauvignon in richness, structure and ageability. Its famous, historic home is the Northern Rhône; here its aromatic character includes black pepper, violets, plums, bacon, tar and leather. It is the origin of such great, powerful wines as Hermitage and Côte Rôtie. The other archetypal Syrah hails from Australia where it is called Shiraz and is much prized in warm regions such as Barossa. Here the aromas become more chocolaty with dark, ripe, sweet and spicy flavours. Producers usually align the style of their wine to one of these two archetypes and label them accordingly as either “Syrah” or “Shiraz”.
Syrah is a vigorous grape variety with a short ripening period making the window for optimum harvesting rather fine. Its berries are small and dark and tend to shrivel once over ripeness has been reached. Syrah is widely grown across the world in varying climates. In France it is increasingly used in Provence and the Languedoc alongside other Rhône varieties such as Grenache and Mourvèdre. Spain is in the midst of Syrah fever and in the New World, it has found success in South Africa, Argentina and Washington State.
Items 1-9 of 31
- 2017 Château FontarècheCuvée Pierre Mignard Corbières0.75l Red€7.49 €6.19Deze betaalbare Corbières is één van de basiswijnen van onze selectie. Hij wordt gemaakt op het oude, familiale domein door de voormalige directeur van Château La Conseillante te Pomerol, Arnaud de Lamy. Deze wijn heeft een intense purperen kleur, een neus van pruimen met een lichte toets ceder en kruiden. In de mond heeft hij aroma’s van Amarena-kersen, sleedoornbessen, specerijen en typische Rhône-smaken in de finale. Hij laat zich gemakkelijk elke dag drinken bij gestoofd vlees, paté en andere vleesgerechten.
- Syrah Mâcon Lugny0.75l Red€9.60 €7.93The grapes for this magnificently juicy and ripe Syrah come from several locations ; a declassified vineyard near St. Joseph in the northern Rhône, parcels in the southern Rhone area of Vinsobres and from the Ardèche. 5% of Viognier is addded to the blend to give aromatic elegance to the wine. Made by Nicolas Jaboulet, this is a round, warm, yet fresh wine with lots of rich, grapey fruit, spices and power. A great wine for every day gatherings with a good pedigree.
- Epicure Rouge Ventoux0.75l RedBio€10.70 €8.84Luc Guénard is very proud of the 2015 vintage and especially the expression of the Grenache fruit which is evident in the bright, juicy fruit and white flower aromas. There is great purity and balance here and Luc’s natural winemaking is leading to less and less treatments and use of sulphur. We love this wine for its natural, fresh flavours and its ripe fruit, brimming with character and richness. Produced from vines that are more than 55 years old, grown on the southern slopes of Mount Ventoux but facing north-west and cooled by constant breezes, this wine is a blend of 60% Grenache, 25% Carignan and 15% Syrah. Excellent value, this organic wine just keeps getting better and better.
- 2016 Château La PagèzeLa Clape0.75l Red€11.35 €9.38In the well-known La Clape appellation of Languedoc-Rousillon in the south of France, Château La Pagèze makes delicious, fruity, easy drinking wines with good acidity and lovely balance. The château is located on a limestone plateau by the Mediterranean sea facing the rising sun. The wines are made by the Chamayrac family who grow the Syrah and Grenache grapes used in this wine on the limestone slopes. Aged for 9-12 months in French oak barrels the wine has a very dark plum colour, good intensity, ripe, fresh berry fruit flavours, a touch of sweetness from the oak and an attractive spicy finish. This is an easy drinking wine for barbeques and parties.
- Côtes du Rhône Villages0.75l RedNewBio€13.10 €10.83Les Cassagnes de La Nerthe Rouge 2015 (bio) 60% Grenache Noir, 30% Syrah, 10% Mourvèdre grapes are used in this exciting, organic Côtes du Rhône which replaces the former Domaine Renjarde wine. Made by the same, ambitious winemakers, the Cassagnes comes from a forty year old vineyard planted on limestone and sandstone. The wine is aged in large oak vats to keep the primary freshness of the fruit: plums, blackberries, bing cherries and sloes are the aromas that are conjured up here without being jammy or too sweet. On the palate the purity of the fruit is evident with some spicy notes of freshly crushed black pepper, cloves and lingering notes of liquorice and lavender on the finish. A lovely wine, perfectly balanced between richness and freshness and full of spicy Rhône flavours. Very easy to drink now this wine will âge well for 5-10 years and matches well with game dishes, stews, roast meats and barbecues.
- Côtes du Rhône Villages0.75l RedBio€13.10 €10.83Made from the classic GSM blend (Grenache, Syrah and Mourvèdre), this wine opens with a very beautiful nose of ripe berry fruit, spice and tobacco underpinned with a lovely floral element of almond and peach blossom. On the palate the wine is generous, fresh and well-balanced with notes of plums, stones and wild herbs. There is a lively, fruity finish to this well-made wine from an excellent vintage.
- Côtes du Rhône Villages0.75l RedBio€13.20 €10.91This youthful fresh wine is very expressive and approchable, with aromas over 60 ye of roses, peach, honeysuckle and wild flowers. It has excellent fruit flavours and is beautifully balanced and soft without losing any of its aromatic complexity. The wine comes from old Grenache, Syrah and Mourvèdre vines grown in deep limestone soils from a vineyard in Serignan-du-Comtat, north of Orange and Avignon. The wine is fermented and aged in concrete and stainless steel vats. Lovely to drink now with great freshness and silkiness, this is an easy drinking wine with lots of spicy, fruity flavours to serve with grilled meats, pizza and Asian dishes.