The blending partner for Marsanne, this northern Rhône grape variety has attractive aromas of spring blossom, verbena and meadow flowers. It has lovely acidity and good ageability. In spite of its elegant character, today there is more Marsanne planted than Roussanne because it is a difficult grape to grow as it ripens late and is susceptible to mildew and botrytis.
- 2015 Catalan EagleTerra Alta D.O.0.75l WhiteBio€8.70 €7.19Catalan Eagle white is a blend of 60% Garnacha Blanca, 25% Viognier and 15% Roussanne grapes, the two latter grape varieties originally coming from the Rhone. Catalan Eagle takes its name from the bird that soars above the nature reserve close to the 26 hectare organic vineyard in Terra Alta which is near Tarragona in southern Catalonia. This wine has an expressive nose of peaches, pears and grapefruit. On the palate there is minerality, fruit and some warm, spicy notes. Round and full on the palate this is an aromatic wine with good acidity and a rich texture. Enjoy with seafood and paella.
- Epicure Blanc Ventoux0.75l WhiteBio€12.20 €10.08Small yields, organic farming and vineyards that are worked by hand, chiefly by owner Luc Guenard, are the secrets of success of this beautifully aromatic and fresh white wine. Made from a blend of old vines - 40% Grenache Blanc, 20% Roussane, 20% Clairette and 20% Bourboulenc – the wine is vinified in temperature controlled cement tanks with one quarter of the wine being made in barrels. A very appetising wine with a bright, pale yellow colour and an expressive nose of almonds, mint, blossom and wild flower. Melon, pear and white pepper flavours combine to give a round, generous taste with lots of mineral salinity in the finish. Delicious with lots of verve. Serve with poached or baked fish, vegetable dishes and poultry.
- Côtes du Rhône Villages0.75l WhiteBio€13.10 €10.83A beautiful rich and satisfying white Rhône with an abiding freshness which makes the wine more elegant and livelier on the palate. Made from a blend of Viognier, Grenache Blanc et Roussanne cultivated organically, this is a deeply satisfying wine with an expressive nose of lemons, melons and grapefruit, generous and round on the palate with ripe, sweet fruit lifted by good acidity and bite. The finish is silky and long with very persistent fruit flavours in the finish. There is less Viognier in the blend this year and such is the demand for this wine that the estate is doubling the surface of white grapes planted at Cassagnes.
- 2013 Chateau La NertheChâteauneuf-du-Pape0.75l White€29.20 €24.13The 2013 vintage was harvested very late with a very small quantity of grapes. In spite of this the wine has a very pretty acidity and lots of aromas. Like its red brother, this white Chateauneuf du Pape is made from rich blend of different grapes: Roussance 38%, White Grenache 31%, Clairette 16% and Bourboulenc 15%. The wine has a very bright pale yellow colour with green tinges. The nose is intense with aromas of grapefruit, white flowers and lemon tart. It is balanced by a fine and subtle oak. On the palate the wine has lots of freshness, good roundness, aromatic purity and a long finish with notes of lychees and apricots.
- 2014 Château La NertheChâteauneuf-du-Pape0.75l White€29.95 €24.75A blend of Grenache Blanc 35 % , Roussanne 33 %, Bourboulenc 18 % and Clairette 14 % is used in this blend. The Roussanne grapes are fermented in French oak barrels (1/3 new) and then aged on their fine lees. The other grape varieties are first vinified in stainless steel tanks at cool temperatures and then aged on their fine lees. The result is a pale yellow wine with green reflections; the aromas are expressive with nuaunces of white peaches, brioche and citrus fruit. There is a beautiful freshess on the attack leading to a wine that is quite rich and round with the same flavours of white fruits with a hint of baked apples. The finish is long with a roasted note accompanied by floral tones, then pineapple – all of which are wrapped in a lovely sweetness? A very great white wine to serve with grilled fish, poultry, vegetarian dishes or cheeses.
- 2015 Château La NertheChâteauneuf-du-Pape0.75l White€30.60 €25.29We love the intensity and the finesse of this 2015 vintage with its fabulous aromas of white plums and grapefruit. Made from a blend of Grenache Blanc 35 % , Roussanne 33 %, Bourboulenc 18 % and Clairette 14 %, the Roussanne grapes are fermented in French oak barrels (1/3 new) and then aged on their fine lees. The other grape varieties are first vinified in stainless steel tanks at cool temperatures and then aged on their fine lees. Combining freshness with density, fruit concentration with very pure, organic minerality, this is a very impressive wine which has won much acclaim. It will age well for the next five years and is lovely served with grilled fish, poultry, vegetarian dishes or cheeses.
- 2017 Château La NertheChâteauneuf-du-Pape0.75l White€34.50 €28.51The 2017 vintage joins the 2015 and the 2016 as a trio of exceptional vintages for La Nerthe, one of the oldest and largest estates in Chateauneuf-du-Pape. Thanks to great investments and a great terroir, La Nerthe is at the top of its game and producing gorgeous organic white and red wines at its large domain south-east of the village of Chateauneuf. The grape blend is 55% Grenache, 17% Syrah, 15% Mourvedre, 7% Cinsault, 3% Counoise and the remaining 3% is a blend of the other varietals planted in the vineyard. La Nerthe 2017 is very elegant and composed, fruity and spicy with an abiding freshness. Its drinkability perhaps belies the power and the concentration that this great wine possesses. It seems wonderful to drink now but it could age for another ten years to reveal layers of depth and complexity.