There are many varieties, names and permutations of Grenache, which is called Garnacha in Spain, from where it is believed to originate. Like the red version, the white Grenache is a strong, full-bodied grape with flavours of plums (reine claude), almond blossom, melon and quince. It is found a great deal in southern France and in the southern Rhône. In the Languedoc it is used to make the sweet wines (vins doux naturels). It is rarely used as a single variety but today where the Rhône varieties have become fashionable throughout the world, it is often used in combination with Clairette, Roussanne and Viognier.
In Spain, it is used with success in the Catalonia and Aragon regions as well as being a part of the blend of wines from Priorat, Rioja and Tarragona. There are some plantings of Grenache Blanc in California and South Africa.
Items 1-9 of 12
- 2016 Château La PagèzeLa Clape0.75l WhiteNew€7.20 €5.95A lovely wine from the Languedoc from the well-known appellation of La Clape where the vineyards lie on a limestone plateau facing the rising sun and the Mediterranean sea. Produced from a blend of Roussanne and Grenache Blanc grapes, there is good persistence and fresh flavours here with nice round orchard fruit and a long, clean, refreshing taste. A good value everyday wine for vegetable dishes, seafood, fish and spicy dishes. Drink : 2017-2018.
- 2015 Catalan EagleTerra Alta D.O.0.75l WhiteBio€8.70 €7.19Catalan Eagle white is a blend of 60% Garnacha Blanca, 25% Viognier and 15% Roussanne grapes, the two latter grape varieties originally coming from the Rhone. Catalan Eagle takes its name from the bird that soars above the nature reserve close to the 26 hectare organic vineyard in Terra Alta which is near Tarragona in southern Catalonia. This wine has an expressive nose of peaches, pears and grapefruit. On the palate there is minerality, fruit and some warm, spicy notes. Round and full on the palate this is an aromatic wine with good acidity and a rich texture. Enjoy with seafood and paella.
- Tavel0.75l Rosé€11.89 €9.83A 12th century abbey is where this very attractive Tavel is made - a wine with lots of personality and richness. Produced from eight different grape varieties including white and red grenache, clairette and carignan, here is a very savoury rosé with a full taste of cherries, peaches and spices. This is a rosé to enjoy at the table with Mediterranean cuisine – shellfish, exotic or spicy food and fish. The ultimate luxury is to serve this wine in magnum – a beautiful, elegant, long necked bottle with individual gift box for a special meal.
- 2016 Château ValcombeEpicure Blanc Ventoux0.75l WhiteBio€12.20 €10.08The 2016 is a big success for this young estate. An attractive blend of 40% Grenache Blanc, 20% Roussane, 20% Clairette and 20% Bourboulenc from old vines farmed organically produce an expressive wine with notes of white flowers and orchard fruits in the nose. On the palate the wine has an attractive roundness, aromas of fruit, oak and wild flowers with good acidity which leads to a long and complex finish. A very appetising wine to enjoy with light meals – vegetarian dishes, fish and salads.
- Côtes du Rhône Villages0.75l WhiteBio€12.80 €10.58This is a new wine from the wonderful La Nerthe estate in Châteauneuf-du-Pape, the southern Rhônes most famous winemaking village. This lovely, expressive, crunchy fruity white wine is made from a blend of 50% Viognier - 25% Grenache Blanc - 25% Roussanne organic grapes. Planted on terraces of south facing garrigue stones, sandstone and sand, the vines are warmed by the sun but kept cool and dry by the famous Mistral wind of the Rhône Valley. Almost all Southern Rhone wines are made from a blend of grapes and this mix gives great depth of flavour to the wine; you can pick out the floral, honeysuckle notes; then the stone fruit flavours mixed with luscious mango and pineapple and finally spicy notes of almonds and cinnamon. There is great balance and smoothness here and the wine marries well with poultry dishes, creamy sauces, poached fish and rich salads.
- Tavel1.5l Rosé€25.89 €21.40A 12th century abbey is where this very attractive Tavel is made - a wine with lots of personality and richness. Produced from eight different grape varieties including white and red grenache, clairette and carignan, here is a very savoury rosé with a full taste of cherries, peaches and spices. This is a rosé to enjoy at the table with Mediterranean cuisine – shellfish, exotic or spicy food and fish. The ultimate luxury is to serve this wine in magnum – a beautiful, elegant, long necked bottle with individual gift box for a special meal.
- 2013 Château La NertheChâteauneuf-du-Pape0.75l White€29.20 €24.13The 2013 vintage was harvested very late with a very small quantity of grapes. In spite of this the wine has a very pretty acidity and lots of aromas. Like its red brother, this white Chateauneuf du Pape is made from rich blend of different grapes: Roussance 38%, White Grenache 31%, Clairette 16% and Bourboulenc 15%. The wine has a very bright pale yellow colour with green tinges. The nose is intense with aromas of grapefruit, white flowers and lemon tart. It is balanced by a fine and subtle oak. On the palate the wine has lots of freshness, good roundness, aromatic purity and a long finish with notes of lychees and apricots.