There are many varieties, names and permutations of Grenache, which is called Garnacha in Spain, from where it is believed to originate. Like the red version, the white Grenache is a strong, full-bodied grape with flavours of plums (reine claude), almond blossom, melon and quince. It is found a great deal in southern France and in the southern Rhône. In the Languedoc it is used to make the sweet wines (vins doux naturels). It is rarely used as a single variety but today where the Rhône varieties have become fashionable throughout the world, it is often used in combination with Clairette, Roussanne and Viognier.
In Spain, it is used with success in the Catalonia and Aragon regions as well as being a part of the blend of wines from Priorat, Rioja and Tarragona. There are some plantings of Grenache Blanc in California and South Africa.
Items 1-9 of 15
- 2015 Catalan Eagle (BIO)Terra Alta D.O.0.75l WhiteBio€8.70 €7.19Catalan Eagle white is a blend of 60% Garnacha Blanca, 25% Viognier and 15% Roussanne grapes, the two latter grape varieties originally coming from the Rhone. Catalan Eagle takes its name from the bird that soars above the nature reserve close to the 26 hectare organic vineyard in Terra Alta which is near Tarragona in southern Catalonia. This wine has an expressive nose of peaches, pears and grapefruit. On the palate there is minerality, fruit and some warm, spicy notes. Round and full on the palate this is an aromatic wine with good acidity and a rich texture. Enjoy with seafood and paella.
- Epicure Blanc Ventoux0.75l WhiteBio€12.20 €10.08Small yields, organic farming and vineyards that are worked by hand, chiefly by owner Luc Guenard, are the secrets of success of this beautifully aromatic and fresh white wine. Made from a blend of old vines - 40% Grenache Blanc, 20% Roussane, 20% Clairette and 20% Bourboulenc – the wine is vinified in temperature controlled cement tanks with one quarter of the wine being made in barrels. A very appetising wine with a bright, pale yellow colour and an expressive nose of almonds, mint, blossom and wild flower. Melon, pear and white pepper flavours combine to give a round, generous taste with lots of mineral salinity in the finish. Delicious with lots of verve. Serve with poached or baked fish, vegetable dishes and poultry.
- Côtes du Rhône Villages0.75l WhiteBio€12.80 €10.58This is a new wine from the wonderful La Nerthe estate in Châteauneuf-du-Pape, the southern Rhônes most famous winemaking village. This lovely, expressive, crunchy fruity white wine is made from a blend of 50% Viognier - 25% Grenache Blanc - 25% Roussanne organic grapes. Planted on terraces of south facing garrigue stones, sandstone and sand, the vines are warmed by the sun but kept cool and dry by the famous Mistral wind of the Rhône Valley. Almost all Southern Rhone wines are made from a blend of grapes and this mix gives great depth of flavour to the wine; you can pick out the floral, honeysuckle notes; then the stone fruit flavours mixed with luscious mango and pineapple and finally spicy notes of almonds and cinnamon. There is great balance and smoothness here and the wine marries well with poultry dishes, creamy sauces, poached fish and rich salads.
- Tavel0.75l RoséNewBio€13.10 €10.83A 12th century abbey is where this very attractive Tavel is made - a wine with lots of personality and richness. Produced from eight different grape varieties including white and red grenache, clairette and carignan, here is a very savoury rosé with a full taste of cherries, peaches and spices. This is a rosé to enjoy at the table with Mediterranean cuisine – shellfish, exotic or spicy food and fish.
- Côtes du Rhône Villages0.75l WhiteBio€13.10 €10.83A beautiful rich and satisfying white Rhône with an abiding freshness which makes the wine more elegant and livelier on the palate. Made from a blend of Viognier, Grenache Blanc et Roussanne cultivated organically, this is a deeply satisfying wine with an expressive nose of lemons, melons and grapefruit, generous and round on the palate with ripe, sweet fruit lifted by good acidity and bite. The finish is silky and long with very persistent fruit flavours in the finish. There is less Viognier in the blend this year and such is the demand for this wine that the estate is doubling the surface of white grapes planted at Cassagnes.
- Châteauneuf-du-Pape0.75l RedPrimeur€18.50 €15.29Inviting, bright color. A real Côtes-du-Rhône nose with slightly jammy red fruits, mature and very expressive. Raspberries, strawberries, cherries with brandy. Small touch of very delicate spices such as white pepper, which add a little complexity. On the palate, a very forward and juicy attack. A wine that will be round, fruity, juicy, open and velvety in the mouth. What pleases is that it is a true Côtes-du-Rhône, but clearly above average by its fruit and structure.
- 2018 Les Hauts de JulienVieilles Vignes Vinsobres0.75l RedPrimeur€27.50 €22.73Dark red color with purplish reflections. Colorful tears that already reveal the concentration and the alcohol content. The nose is also concentrated on blackberry, elderberry and crème de cassis. Sweet spice notes, Sichuan pepper, licorice and ruby chocolate. On the palate, a forward attack of black fruits. A promising finale. Although too young today, it deserves to be forgotten in a deep cellar to open in a few years.
- Châteauneuf-du-Pape0.75l WhiteBio€29.20 €24.13The 2013 vintage was harvested very late with a very small quantity of grapes. In spite of this the wine has a very pretty acidity and lots of aromas. Like its red brother, this white Chateauneuf du Pape is made from rich blend of different grapes: Roussance 38%, White Grenache 31%, Clairette 16% and Bourboulenc 15%. The wine has a very bright pale yellow colour with green tinges. The nose is intense with aromas of grapefruit, white flowers and lemon tart. It is balanced by a fine and subtle oak. On the palate the wine has lots of freshness, good roundness, aromatic purity and a long finish with notes of lychees and apricots.
- Châteauneuf-du-Pape0.75l WhiteBio€29.95 €24.75A blend of Grenache Blanc 35 % , Roussanne 33 %, Bourboulenc 18 % and Clairette 14 % is used in this blend. The Roussanne grapes are fermented in French oak barrels (1/3 new) and then aged on their fine lees. The other grape varieties are first vinified in stainless steel tanks at cool temperatures and then aged on their fine lees. The result is a pale yellow wine with green reflections; the aromas are expressive with nuaunces of white peaches, brioche and citrus fruit. There is a beautiful freshess on the attack leading to a wine that is quite rich and round with the same flavours of white fruits with a hint of baked apples. The finish is long with a roasted note accompanied by floral tones, then pineapple – all of which are wrapped in a lovely sweetness? A very great white wine to serve with grilled fish, poultry, vegetarian dishes or cheeses.