One of the fastest growing and most popular grape varieties, especially in the New World, Sauvignon Blanc is known for its very obvious aromas that range from passion fruit to boxwood. The variety is fairly easy to recognize with its grassy notes, the green hues in its colour and above all its clean, zesty acidity. With age and with ripeness the crisp fruit (which has also been described as green pepper, nettle, gooseberry and lime blossom) can become rounder with notes of honeydew melon, pear and linden.
The grape is believed to have originated in the Loire, where it still finds its purest expression. In the last 20 years, the variety has gone through a revolution since Denis Dubourdieu, the brilliant wine researcher and professor in Bordeaux identified the precursors of its aromas, which are sulphur compounds that become volatile when exposed to oxygen, called thiols. To preserve these thiols the grapes are usually macerated on the skins for a short period at cold temperatures before being fermented in stainless steel tanks.
The most obviously fruity, aromatic Sauvignon Blancs come from New Zealand where the intense box tree and passion fruit notes are unmistakable. In France, the wines are more restrained with mineral notes mixing with grassy, fruity tones. In Bordeaux the grapes are picked at full maturity, vinified in barrels and often blended with honey-scented Semillon to provide the necessary flesh before being aged in oak; these wines are capable of long age. Apart from New Zealand, the variety has had great success throughout the New World where it is prized for its intense aromas and juicy, fruity acidity.
Items 1-9 of 46
- 2017 Château de RespideClassique Graves0.75l WhiteNew€9.00 €7.44Chateau De Respide is a very well-made, modern Graves produced from a blend of 60% Sauvignon Blanc and 40% Semillon grapes. After picking, the grapes go through a short period of maceration on the skins before aging on their fine lees. The wine has a bright pale yellow colour, an expressive nose of white blossom, citrus fruit and fresh meadows and on the palate the wine is attractively fruity, balanced and persistent with a very refreshing zesty finish. Chateau De Respide is one of the oldest wine estates in Bordeaux, belonging formerly to Louis XIV’s police officers. The painter Toulouse Lautrec was a frequent visitor and although the château was later sold, the vineyards and cellars have been in the hands of the Bonnet family since the 1950s.
- 2017 Château PelleboucEntre-Deux-Mers0.75l White€9.80 €8.10This is our best-selling wine and it is easy to see why. Pellebouc is a quaffable, refreshing white Bordeaux, owned by Baudouin Thienpont, the brother of Jacques and produced at his beautiful estate in the Entre-deux-Mers region of Bordeaux. Made from Sauvignon Blanc grapes, it is a light white wine with an attractive nose of citrus, freshly mown grass and orchard fruits. On the palate it is lively with good acidity and a nice, long, dry finish. Enjoy this wine young with oysters, light lunches, salads or seafood.
- 2018 Marigny-Neuf (BIO)Sauvignon Val de Loire0.75l WhiteBio€10.20 €8.43One of the first wines made by Frédéric Brochet who has now expanded his domaine just north of Poitiers to include a complete line of varietal wines. His Marigny-Neuf Sauvignon Blanc remains his best seller and is grown organically in limestone and silex soils. The wine has a very pure, light yellow colour, very good citrus fruit characteristic of the Sauvignon Blanc grape which is complemented with notes of boxtree, mint and wild flowers. Good energy, precise acidity and lovely fresh structure bring out the attractive aromas in this wine. Serve with shrimps, oysters and of course goat’s cheese.
- Francs, Côtes de Bordeaux0.75l WhitePrimeur€12.35 €10.21For once the wine was not bottled at the time of the primeurs and will wait until mid-June as there is a great deal of richness here. Made from a blend of 63% Semillon, 21% Sauvignon Blanc and 16% Sauvignon Gris, it is the Semillon which really comes out here with lovely freshness, sweet, grapey flavours and notes of cinnamon, oatmeal and citrus. Creamy, soft and lively, with very good concentration and freshness, nice precision and an appetizingly salty finish. Delivery from winter 2020-2021
- 2007 Château FilhotSauternesDeuxièmes Crus 0.375l White€14.30 €11.82Bright and pure with a lovely fruity nose of apricots and grapefruits. A very pretty Sauternes at a very good price. Instensely concentrated and very fresh. Very wel-made, a Sauternes with lots of character.
- 2017 Domaine ThomasLe Pierrier Sancerre0.75l White€14.70 €12.15Julien Thomas has now taken over the estate from his father, which has been in the family since the 17th century. Farmed according to biodynamic practices, the 16 hectares of beautiful Sauvignon vineyards are planted on the limestone slopes. The wine has herbal and citrus aromas in the nose with at touch of dill and sage. In the mouth there is good mineral structure, lovely freshness and pear and citrus flavours. The wines have recently become purer with more minerality and character. The palate is fine with good length and persistence. Drink chilled with shellfish and grilled fish dishes.
- 2014 Ampelidae le S (BIO)Sauvignon Poitou0.75l WhiteBio€17.61 €14.55The "S" here, quite simply stands for Sauvignon, the passion of Frédéric Brochet. Grown in the Ampelidae vineyards with their mixture of clay and sand subsoils on a bedrock of flint and limestone, the grapes are hand picked and allowed to macerate on the skins for 14 hours before fermentation. This takes place partly in oak barrels, partly in tanks and results in a brilliant clear wine with very forward aromas of tropical fruits, fruit compote and a salty minerality. The wine has great intensity and depth of flavour with a pure, long finish. Serve with asparagus, river fish, oysters, lobsters and goats’ cheese.