Red Grenache, or “Garnacha” as the grape is known in Spain, is the world’s fourth most planted variety. Yet, it is less well known, probably because its name is hardly ever seen on a wine label. Grenache tends to produce light-coloured wines with good roundness; brimming with juicy strawberry fruit they show moderate acidity and tannins. Thus the grape is usually blended with other varieties such as Tempranillo in Spain or Syrah in France.
Grenache excels in hot, dry climates and is found in Southern France, Spain and the warm regions of Australia and California. To produce truly excellent wines such as Châteauneuf-du-Pape in the southern Rhône or Priorat in Spain, yields need to be restricted and great care needs to be taken in making the wines. Grenache excels as the vine ages and the old abandoned terraces in the Rhône and in Priorat have produced some beautiful old, gnarly vines which create legendary wines with dark, silky tannins and notes of berries, spice, herbs and wild flowers.
Grenache is also popular in the production of rosé wines, usually bright pink in colour and strawberry-scented as in Tavel, which is dry but blessed with the fruity sweetness of Grenache. Grenache is becoming increasingly popular in the New World, especially in California and Australia and is also used to make fortified wines such as Banyuls.
Items 1-9 of 19
- 2017 Castillo De OliteNavarre D.O.0.75l Red€5.00 €4.13Produced from grapes grown in the hillsides of Navarre in the north of Spain, this light and fruity red wine is aromatic and easy drinking. For more than 20 years it has been a great favourite of our clientele. Perfect for every day drinking.
- 2016 Château FontarècheCuvée Pierre Mignard Corbières0.75l Red€6.80 €5.62This good value Corbières has become a mainstay of our selection. It is made by Arnaud de Lamy, previously a director of Château La Conseillante in Pomerol, at his historic family estate. The wine has a dark, intense colour, good plummy nose with touches of cedar, spice and plums. On the palate the wine has flavours of bitter cherries, sloes and spice. Good Rhône flavours predominate on the finish. An easy wine for current drinking to serve with stews, paté and other meat dishes.
- 2017 Château FontarècheCuvée Pierre Mignard Corbières0.75l Red€7.49 €6.19Deze betaalbare Corbières is één van de basiswijnen van onze selectie. Hij wordt gemaakt op het oude, familiale domein door de voormalige directeur van Château La Conseillante te Pomerol, Arnaud de Lamy. Deze wijn heeft een intense purperen kleur, een neus van pruimen met een lichte toets ceder en kruiden. In de mond heeft hij aroma’s van Amarena-kersen, sleedoornbessen, specerijen en typische Rhône-smaken in de finale. Hij laat zich gemakkelijk elke dag drinken bij gestoofd vlees, paté en andere vleesgerechten.
- 2016 The ChargeTempranillo/Garnacha Rioja D.O.C.0.75l Red€8.75 €7.23Our brief for Ed Adams MW was to find us a modern style Rioja with not too much barrel aging so that we could enjoy the bright, fresh cherry fruit flavours of the Tempranillo grape. Working with Bodegas Manzanos in Rioja Baja, he has made a wine with excellent red berry and spicy fruit with refreshing acidity balanced by fine vanilla flavours from aging in a mix of American and French oak. The Charge red is made from 70% Tempranillo & 30% Garnacha grapes, harvested mid September 2016. Ed has increased the percentage of Garnacha with this producer since it is so good! The 2016 is bright and juicy with good generous fruit flavours and an attractive, warm, rich flavour of oak. Drink young alongside roast lamb and stews.
- Epicure Rouge Ventoux0.75l RedBio€10.70 €8.84Luc Guénard is very proud of the 2015 vintage and especially the expression of the Grenache fruit which is evident in the bright, juicy fruit and white flower aromas. There is great purity and balance here and Luc’s natural winemaking is leading to less and less treatments and use of sulphur. We love this wine for its natural, fresh flavours and its ripe fruit, brimming with character and richness. Produced from vines that are more than 55 years old, grown on the southern slopes of Mount Ventoux but facing north-west and cooled by constant breezes, this wine is a blend of 60% Grenache, 25% Carignan and 15% Syrah. Excellent value, this organic wine just keeps getting better and better.
- 2016 Château La PagèzeLa Clape0.75l Red€11.35 €9.38In the well-known La Clape appellation of Languedoc-Rousillon in the south of France, Château La Pagèze makes delicious, fruity, easy drinking wines with good acidity and lovely balance. The château is located on a limestone plateau by the Mediterranean sea facing the rising sun. The wines are made by the Chamayrac family who grow the Syrah and Grenache grapes used in this wine on the limestone slopes. Aged for 9-12 months in French oak barrels the wine has a very dark plum colour, good intensity, ripe, fresh berry fruit flavours, a touch of sweetness from the oak and an attractive spicy finish. This is an easy drinking wine for barbeques and parties.
- Côtes du Rhône Villages0.75l RedNewBio€13.10 €10.83Les Cassagnes de La Nerthe Rouge 2015 (bio) 60% Grenache Noir, 30% Syrah, 10% Mourvèdre grapes are used in this exciting, organic Côtes du Rhône which replaces the former Domaine Renjarde wine. Made by the same, ambitious winemakers, the Cassagnes comes from a forty year old vineyard planted on limestone and sandstone. The wine is aged in large oak vats to keep the primary freshness of the fruit: plums, blackberries, bing cherries and sloes are the aromas that are conjured up here without being jammy or too sweet. On the palate the purity of the fruit is evident with some spicy notes of freshly crushed black pepper, cloves and lingering notes of liquorice and lavender on the finish. A lovely wine, perfectly balanced between richness and freshness and full of spicy Rhône flavours. Very easy to drink now this wine will âge well for 5-10 years and matches well with game dishes, stews, roast meats and barbecues.