Red Grenache, or “Garnacha” as the grape is known in Spain, is the world’s fourth most planted variety. Yet, it is less well known, probably because its name is hardly ever seen on a wine label. Grenache tends to produce light-coloured wines with good roundness; brimming with juicy strawberry fruit they show moderate acidity and tannins. Thus the grape is usually blended with other varieties such as Tempranillo in Spain or Syrah in France.
Grenache excels in hot, dry climates and is found in Southern France, Spain and the warm regions of Australia and California. To produce truly excellent wines such as Châteauneuf-du-Pape in the southern Rhône or Priorat in Spain, yields need to be restricted and great care needs to be taken in making the wines. Grenache excels as the vine ages and the old abandoned terraces in the Rhône and in Priorat have produced some beautiful old, gnarly vines which create legendary wines with dark, silky tannins and notes of berries, spice, herbs and wild flowers.
Grenache is also popular in the production of rosé wines, usually bright pink in colour and strawberry-scented as in Tavel, which is dry but blessed with the fruity sweetness of Grenache. Grenache is becoming increasingly popular in the New World, especially in California and Australia and is also used to make fortified wines such as Banyuls.
Items 1-9 of 22
- 2015 Castillo De OliteNavarre D.O.0,75l Red€4.90 €4.05Produced from grapes grown in the hillsides of Navarre in the north of Spain, this light and fruity red wine is aromatic and easy drinking. For more than 20 years it has been a great favourite of our clientele. Perfect for every day drinking.
- 2016 Castillo De OliteNavarre D.O.0,75l Red€4.90 €4.05De "Castillo de Olite" wordt geproduceerd in de heuvels van Navarra ten noorden van Spanje. Deze lichte, fruitige en aromatische rode wijn is de grote favoriet van onze klanten. Deze wijn met zijn fruitige en frisse aroma's is zeer gemakkelijk te drinken als dagelijkse wijn.
- 2014 Castillo De OliteNavarre D.O.0,75l Red€4.90 €4.05Produced from grapes grown in the hillsides of Navarre in the north of Spain, this light and fruity red wine is aromatic and easy drinking. For more than 20 years it has been a great favourite of our clientele. Perfect for every day drinking.
- 2015 Château FontarècheCuvée Pierre Mignard Corbières0,75l Red€6.59 €5.45Made by Arnaud de Lamy, previously a director of Château La Conseillante in Pomerol, at his historic family estate. A dark purple-ruby colour with a spicy, lighlty oaked nose showing aromas of blackberries and prunes. The palate is round, supple and full of character. The terroir of Corbières is well-suited to the classic Rhône varieties - such as Syrah, Mourvèdre, Carignan and Grenache which are very prettily blended in this wine.
- 2016 Château FontarècheCuvée Pierre Mignard Corbières0,75l Red€6.80 €5.62This good value Corbières has become a mainstay of our selection. It is made by Arnaud de Lamy, previously a director of Château La Conseillante in Pomerol, at his historic family estate. The wine has a dark, intense colour, good plummy nose with touches of cedar, spice and plums. On the palate the wine has flavours of bitter cherries, sloes and spice. Good Rhône flavours predominate on the finish. An easy wine for current drinking to serve with stews, paté and other meat dishes.
- 2015 Réserve PasserelMontpeyroux0,75l RedNew€7.20 €5.95A well-known appellation, the village of Montpeyroux was a famous 14th century fortress and the summer residence of the bishops of Montpellier. Its wines were well known for their rich character. Here in the Hérault the climate is sunny and dry with stony soils of limestone, garrigue and pebbles and the Syrah grape grows well alongside Grenache and Carignan. The grapes are given a long maceration to bring out the fruity flavours. The wine has a dark, pretty purple colour, a fresh nose with smoky, autumn fruit flavours, floral notes of violets and iris and more spicy, earthy flavours on the palate. The Syrah grape dominates here and there is a long, perfumed finish. Drink this wine with game, roast meats and cheeses. Drink : now - 2018.
- 2014 The ChargeTempranillo/Garnacha Rioja D.O.C.0,75l Red€8.60 €7.11This Rioja takes its name from the medieval knights and pilgrims who crossed the region on their way to Santiago de Compostela. Working with the great winemaker Rodolfo Bastida in Haro, Rioja Alta, this is a lovely, wine with excellent red cherry and strawberry fruit, refreshing acidity balanced with fine vanilla flavours from aging in American oak. The Charge is made from grapes from all over the Rioja region and is a blend of 80% Tempranillo and 20% Garnacha from four separate vineyard lots. A very easy to drink, modern Rioja to serve with grilled meats, barbecues and casual suppers.
- 2013 The ChargeTempranillo/Garnacha Rioja D.O.C.0,75l Red€8.60 €7.11This Rioja takes its name from the medieval knights and pilgrims who crossed the region on their way to Santiago de Compostela. It has a vibrant, sweet fruity nose, excellent red berry fruit with notes of cedar, plums and American oak and a lovely round, generous finish. A very easy to drink modern Rioja to serve with grilled meats.
- Côtes du Rhône Villages0,75l RedBio€9.20 €7.60One of the great domaines of the Rhone making authentic and full-bodied, bio wines. Like the famous Château La Nerthe, the estate is managed by Alain Dugas and is magnificently situated in Sérignan, in the north of Orange. It is predominantly planted with Grenache with smaller quantities of Syrah, Cinsault, Mourvèdre and Carignan vines which are on average 40 years old. This vintage has already amassed a slew of medals and awards and is noted for its intense, complex nose which has toasty aromas, sweet spice and concentrated red fruit. The palate is very harmonious, round, fresh and velvety-smooth. Ready to drink now. A perfect match for game.